KATE DAVIS, LCSW
Kate currently does telehealth. She also does a limited number of in-person sessions from our eastside office (2512 SE 25th Ave, Suite 305, Portland, OR 97202). Mask wearing is optional after 4/3/23, but required if you have any symptoms (even if you think it might just be allergies).
If you have questions about insurance or other billing matters, please contact Conner: [email protected] or 503-709-5137 ext. 1.
MY EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND TRAINING
I received my Bachelor of Arts degree from University of Oregon, majoring in Human Services. I received my Master of Social Work degree from Portland State University in 2000, and have been a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the state of Oregon since 2008. I have worked in various community mental health settings for 40 years. Until 2020, I was on the faculty of Portland State’s Graduate School of Social Work, where I taught clinical social work courses and advised practicum students. I have been training and offering clinical consultation to local and State agencies for over two decades.
Currently, my heart lies in working with individuals who don’t feel at home with themselves for any reason, whether as a result of chronic trauma exposure or changes in circumstances. Trauma, social marginalization, and internalized stigma creates distress that makes life feel difficult and almost too much to bear. It can get better!
I enjoy working with couples in all sorts of situations from pre-commitment, getting out of ruts, and considering separation. I also appreciate supporting couples who are parenting adult children with special needs, couples who are re-building during the first years of substance use recovery, and those who are in partnerships in which one partner is white and one person identifies as BIPOC.
My passion lies in providing authentic, personalized, and collaborative care. My clients say they like me as a therapist because I’m direct in a kind way, we laugh together, and they feel understood. We agree that the best parts are when change starts to happen; we see it and we celebrate.
MY SPECIALTY AREAS INCLUDE
- Therapy for therapists
- Couples therapy
- Health At Every Size-Size Friendly! (I work with folks who struggle with disordered eating, but not folks who struggle with an eating disorder)
- Grief, loss, and aging
- Pets and People: Emotional distress related to pet health issues, anticipating loss, grieving, and complicated bereavement
- Compassion fatigue treatment for veterinary professionals
- Depression/Anxiety/Suicidal Ideation
- Post-traumatic stress disorder related to developmental trauma
- Partner therapy for those affected by substance use, in early recovery, or maintenance.
- Family therapy for families of adult children living with disabilities or mental health challenges
- Decreasing internalized stigma, deconstructing oppressive narratives, and developing strong self and/or community
- Dismantling the impacts of racism, increasing understanding, and finding a new language for love between white and BIPOC partners
I work with adults (ages 20 and up) in individual and couples therapy.
TOOLS IN MY THERAPEUTIC TOOLBOX
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Attachment and attunement with interpersonal neurobiology
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Family Systems Therapy modified for cultural factors
- Health at Every Size
- Motivational Interviewing
- Trauma Informed Stabilization Tools
I AM IN-NETWORK WITH THE FOLLOWING INSURANCE PANELS
- I can also bill for “out of network benefits” for other insurances not listed (except OHP) if you have them