Brave Acorn is not currently looking for new clinicians. When we do, however, this (below) is what we look for and what we offer. You are welcome to check back later to see if we might be hiring again at a future time.
Brave Acorn is looking to hire an Oregon-licensed mental health therapist (LCSW, LPC, LMFT, Ph.D., or PsyD) to provide outpatient individual counseling services. This can be a part-time employee position (12-23 clinical hours across at least 2 days) or a full-time employee position (24 or more clinical hours across at least 3 days). You will be paid a percentage of fees collected rather than a salary (this translates to $50-95 per client hour).
Please apply if you have:
- Training (or willingness to get training within at least 6 months of hire) in at least one trauma modality such as EMDR, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Internal Family Systems, etc.
- Experience (or a willingness to learn) a Health at Every Size and Intuitive Eating approach to body/food/weight issues. Extra consideration given to those who additionally have experience in working with people who have eating disorders or would very much want to learn how to work with people who have eating disorders.
- Experience with (or willingness to learn) a Language of Emotions approach to helping people work with their emotions as allies.
- Experience in helping people navigate intersectional identities (examples include race, ethnicity, immigration, religion, gender, sexuality, size, health, age, ability, and/or socioeconomic status). Extra consideration given to those who additionally have the ability to conduct therapy fluently in at least one other language in addition to English.
Why work with Brave Acorn?
In working with Brave Acorn, you get all the benefits of private practice without the isolation or responsibility of running a business. You get to focus your energies on seeing clients and receive free onsite case consultation. This may be an ideal situation for clinicians who 1) are currently working for an agency and ready to get into private practice but aren’t ready to take on the responsibility of starting a business, or 2) have been in private practice a while and want to keep up the clinical work but are tired of managing the business side of things.
Your job is to take good care of your clients. Brave Acorn’s job is to take good care of you so you can show up for your clients. Whether you are part-time or full-time, Brave Acorn is excited to offer you the following:
- Training in the Language of Emotions
- Training in Health at Every Size
- Weekly team case consultation
- 401(k), matching up to 3% of your income
- Paid time off
- Flexible scheduling (excellent work/life balance)
- A percentage of fees collected for your sessions (which translates to $45-95 per client hour)
- W2 employer-paid taxes
- Paychecks every 2 weeks
- Fully furnished and decorated offices and waiting room for in-person sessions
- HIPAA-compliant telehealth platform for remote sessions
- Basic office supplies including the use of a printer/scanner/copier
- Credentialing with Aetna, Cigna, Kaiser, MHN, MODA, PacificSource, and Providence
- Billing services
- TherapyNotes EHR
- HIPAA-compliant phone number, voicemail, fax number, and email
- Liability insurance
For full-time employees, we also offer medical and dental insurance covered at 50% for the employee (at this time we are unable to cover any of the costs for dependents, but coverage for dependents is available). HSA is also available that you can opt to fund with your pre-taxed income.
Who is Brave Acorn?
Brave Acorn is a group practice with locations on both the west and east side of Portland. Sarah Alexander, LCSW (the owner and lead clinician) has been in private practice full-time since 2011. Sarah is well-established in Portland’s therapeutic community and has reliable referral sources. We provide individual outpatient counseling from a feminist, trauma-trained, emotion-attuned, health-at-every-size lens. We help people develop strong roots for personal growth and welcome people of all sizes, races, religions, gender identities, and sexual orientations. We are seeking people who value and work from a social justice lens.
What Brave Acorn needs from you:
- To have solid clinical skills.
- To have an active and unrestricted license in the state of Oregon.
- To be trained and practiced in working with individual adults.
- To enjoy consulting regularly with colleagues.
- To have a good reputation and references to match.
- To be punctual.
- To be honest, ethical, and utilize good communication skills.
- To reliably complete all documentation (session notes, treatment plans, intake assessments, care coordination notes, discharge summaries) by the Sunday following each client encounter.
- To be easy to work with and confident in your abilities.
- To be willing to learn and grow professionally.
Bonus points for:
- Experience (and desire to continue) working with children, adolescents, couples, and/or families.
- Experience (and desire to continue) working with people who are involved in a variety of sexual practices and partnership agreements.
- Experience (and desire to continue) working with people who have chronic medical conditions, sleep disorders, ADD/ADHD, addictions, codependency, OCD, and/or grief and loss issues.
- Established therapeutic orientations (particularly EMDR, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, and Internal Family Systems).
- Already being credentialed with Aetna, Cigna, Kaiser, MHN, MODA, PacificSource, and/or Providence.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume/CV to Sarah Alexander at [email protected] that includes the date you would like to start and the hours you would be available to see clients.
Please note that, upon hire, your start date will depend upon becoming paneled with insurance companies (or getting the panels you are already credentialed with to switch to Brave Acorn’s Tax ID number, which may take as long as an initial credentialing process). This may take 2-9 months and we won’t be able to provide you with clients until that is done (though Kaiser is usually done in 3 months, at which point I can start filling up your caseload to whatever number you’d like).